Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mod Podge Library Book Bin

One of my favorite places in our community is the local public library… there is a great children’s section that has a fantastic selection of books, a wall of computers with children’s games, and a play area for the littles.  It is truly a wonderful place and the best part?  It’s free!  (Take that, kindle.)
Our library is much more generous than the one I grew up with – we can check out up to thirty books on one card!  Can you believe it?!  And while we don’t usually pick out thirty books to take home, we do pick up quite a few… and inevitably, I wind up with a giant pile of books strewn all over my coffee table.
Enter my solution to this problem: a Mod Podge Library Book Bin!
library book bin
While cleaning out my game room closet, I found this rolling bin that I used for my girls’ toys when they were younger:
photo (22)
It had a little bit of wear but was still in decent shape.  I wasn’t feeling the red anymore, so I got to work covering that up with some torn book pages and Mod Podge.  I mixed in some children’s book pages for a little added whimsy (and if you’re gasping over tearing up a children’s book, never fear.  It was a free Chick-fil-A kid’s meal book).  The inside got a quick coat of ASCP in Duck Egg blue.
048
Once dry, I simply hot glued some lace and ribbon trim along the borders and added a mini slate chalkboard (from Hobby Lobby) to remind us when the books are due.
book bin
The girls have enjoyed rolling the bin out when it’s time for reading, and I’ve enjoyed being able to see the top of my coffee table… it’s the little things, peops.
library book bin 1

So tell me, what have you been up to?

Linking Up: Under the Table and Dreaming, Tuesday’s Treasures, Diamond in the Stuff, Savvy Southern Style. The 36th Avenue, Tatertots and Jello, Beneath My Heart

4 comments:

  1. That is so darling and such a clever idea! I saw that you were also apart of Kristin's Attitude of Gratitude series and just had to pop over and say 'hi'. Love your blog! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that idea! We have stopped going to the library... it is such an ordeal to find all 3 kids books when they are strown all over the house! I also got tired of paying all the over due fines. I love how you put the due date on the front. So very creative!! -Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! I love the pages idea! Your photography is so beautiful!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I love books what great way to use them for storage. You are very creative:)
    Blessings
    Shemi

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails