Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Curio Progress

It’s been a while, so I thought I’d update you on the progress of the curio transformation…

I’m up to my elbows in this:

Chicken wire.  Yup.  I’ve started installing the chicken wire panels where the glass used to be and so far I’m liking the look.  I’m not liking my el-cheapo upholstery stapler from the Hob Lob.  Nothing against HL… I just bought this cheap stapler to redo my chairs a long time ago and while it worked great for that, it’s not that wonderful when dealing with a nice, sturdy piece of wood.  Mr. home.made. has a much better staple gun, but the staples are too long and I, well, I just couldn’t wait!

I tried a different technique with my chalk paint this time around.  I used a watered down mixture of the Paris Grey and it left a nice, smooth topcoat with very few brush marks.  Then, after using advice from Jami from Freckled Laundry, I worked in the clear wax with a soft cloth, really working it into the paint as I went.  This technique of waxing left a soft sheen right away, but I did go back and buff a little more in some areas for more shine.

I did not distress this piece this time around as I plan on going back later with some dark wax for more patina.

Not bad so far, right?  Only four more chicken wire panels to go… and lots of diet coke breaks in between!

Hope to finish this up soon and show it off to ya!

1 comment:

  1. This is the EXACT idea I have to redo my grandmother's ginormous hutch! Can't wait to see the reveal!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails